08/06/2011

World Ocean's Day

Today is World Ocean's Day, which was proposed on the 8th of June 1992 at the Earth Summit in Rio De Janeiro and has been celebrated every year since. This years theme is called Youth : The Next Wave of Change, inspiring young people to conserve the world's oceans. This is a cause very dear to me, (I'm sure my regular readers will know I'm a budding conservationist and geography geek) as any cause which inspires a youth movement to protect the environment I am 100% behind.

You can find out more at the official website www.theoceanproject.org but at the moment it doesn't seem to be loading properly so try refreshing the page or looking at it again tomorrow.

The point of World Ocean's Day is to honour the world's oceans as a whole and everything it brings us, from seafood to the marine life which fills aquariums to educate the public about the importance of it's continuance, and also a day to celebrate the ocean for it's importance and I believe, it's beauty and inspiration. Involving young people in this cause is important particularly as we are the future and we can effect change, from choosing sustainable sea-food, cleaning up local water ways and recycling to attending an event held in honour of WOD to planning your own and even telling other people about the cause and for fun, wearing blue.

In honour of World Ocean's Day I decided to post some of my seaside pictures (unfortunately all of my blue clothes are in the wash) and I also pledge to recycle and eat sustainable seafood.

I hope you like the photos and I'm sorry if some of them have been repeated before!
xxx


^
This was taken the last day of our holiday and it was boiling hot but there was a cool breeze so it was really nice to go and stand in the water and just listen to the waves and the seagulls. Definitely good to calm you and put any anxieties at ease, though of course I can imagine any seaside holiday where you have a fairly secluded beach to be just as nice.


^
This was when the tide had gone out the furthest it had done since we'd been there and the sand beneath was barely touched apart from a few footprints and pawprints.

^
Waves!


^
My favourite photo I have from Cumbria. Dogs on the beach. There were three of them all chasing each other and playing at the edge of the sea.


^
My Dad really likes this picture. It was a closer one I took of the reflections on the surface and it was really hot that day as well and there were lots of kids and gods playing in the sea too, it was lovely


^
Reflection of the sunlight on the water's surface.


^
Waves coming in


^
View of the water looking very choppy from the cliff top walk


^
A view of the rockpools. My brother and I found anemones, starfish, pipefish and crabs


^
I took this while standing in the shallows and it was a really hot day so the sunlight was hitting the surface and creating this really pretty reflection you see here.


13 comments:

  1. it's always nice to read your articles! I didn't know about this 'ocean day', but I find it very interesting! Involving young people in such important problems is crucial for a good future for everyone: for human beings of course, but also for the envoronment we live in, for all animal species too. we would be nothing without a healthy world to live in, and that's why we should all know and learn the importance of taking care of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely photos and i agree with you. even though i didn't know about the ocean day before, i think it's a really important day for bring awareness of the fact that we are the future of this world and still nature is mostly dying in our hands. It is essential to know more about our environment. Thank you for this post dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures of the ocean are beautiful. I'm dying to go to a beach these days. World Ocean Day is a great cause. I know Selfridges are doing interesting things for it all month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so relaxing. I recently went to the beach and I got super sunburnt... now i'm just trying to heal :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. what gorgeous photos :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are gorgeous! I love it when the sun literally dazzles the water. I remember driving past the Thames with a coachload of children past the Thames looking like that and I waxed lyrical about it and on the spot we wrote loads of poetry about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the majority of co2 to o2 conversion is carried out by sea-dwelling algae.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ocean pictures, so pretty especially where the sun is reflecting off the water. What you wrote about is interesting. I covered it briefly in my recent assessment for planning law.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...beautiful pictures!Love every single one!:x

    ReplyDelete
  10. my favourite image is "Reflection of the sunlight on the water's surface."

    Who wouldn't want to protect something so beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I lived near the ocean but nope, I am stuck in the midlands and completely land locked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome pics. Makes me miss the beaches I went to here in Southeast Asia. BTW, one of my favorite eco groups is celebrating Oceans Day at the Monterey Bay aquarium. Members of The 5 Gyres, a non-profit group researching about oceanic debris was also there to educate folks on what's happening to our world's oceans. Check out this video. http://youtu.be/JzjH1rq9VVA

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great post, a really good idea! I love the sea, I find it really calming and even though I only get to the seaside once a year I love it everytime! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha