18/11/2014

Birds, Sunsets and Riverside Walks

The birds that live outside my house all sit on the top of the hedge and flit back and forth between the garden, the roof and the seed holder which hangs from the apple tree. Me being me, this is just perfect, because I feel like I can get just close enough without scaring them off to take some photos, and thankfully, I have some willing models! 


From what I've seen already, there are House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Siskins, Chaffinchs, Goldfinches Robins, Blackbirds, Great Tits, Blue Tits and Spotted Woodpeckers - which is a far cry from the lovely, long, green garden we had in Milton Keynes which I do often miss. Having said that though, over the years I encountered Frogs, Mice, Hedgehogs and a Sparrowhawk as well as plenty of friendly garden birds which included some very brightly coloured Goldfinches on a good day - which just goes to show that even among the urban landscapes there's an abundance of wildlife on your doorstep!


The sunset a few days ago cast these long, amber bands across the skyline which was mesmerising as the ghostly looking bare branches reached up above. There have been quite a few stunning sunsets here in the Lake District these past few days, and it's been unnaturally mild for November  too - has anyone else noticed this recently? Even with the chill and the crispness in the air, it's been a fairly warm start to winter for me, but I do hope, always do, that there will be some snow and Jack Frost on the ground come December! 


Today I took myself back down to the riverside just as the sun was starting to go down. There is a pair of swans which live on the river and are always bobbing along whenever I walk through the field which runs along the bank. Today they came over, closely followed by the ducks, probably in hopes I had some food but unfortunately for them I was just passing through. I did get some nice photos of them though, which I'll share in another post, but for now I thought this sunny one with the wilting, end of summer flowers was a good way to enjoy the last of the autumn sunshine before December rolls around.


Walking back home this evening was really nice and there was this comfortable quiet along the lane with just the sound of birds tweeting and the odd baa from the sheep. Very different from where I used to live, and sometimes there is a nostalgia for what I still unexpectedly call 'Home' but I suppose getting truly settled and used to a new area takes time, but tonight, I did feel very comfortable and truly at home and thankful, despite all the craziness of the year! It's odd to think that in just over a fortnight, the Christmas tree will be going up and all of the excitement and business of the festive season will be upon us once again. I love it though and I know exactly how I'll be celebrating; candy canes and The Nightmare Before Christmas - can't be beaten! 

I hope you're all enjoying your week and thank you for all the recent lovely comments about my blog and photos - I consider myself a real amateur when it comes to these things but I'm glad they're putting a smile on people's faces - that's the reaction I like and want.

Tasha
xxx

7 comments:

  1. Ohh gorgeous photos! I loove looking at pictures like these as I miss them since I moved to the big city! It has definitely been milk, but I think the cold is on its way! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely as ever. Nights are definitely getting colder and I'm pretty sure there was a sprinkle of ground frost last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I love that little bird!
    Look at those potholes :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable little bird. I love the way the light was captured at just the right moment here. A very special set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are just beautiful Tasha dearest! Thank you for my lovely letter too!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Again, an amazing set of images! Thank you for sharing!

    I love bird watching but honestly I can't tell one species apart from the next, for the most part. I find it so impressive that you were able to identify so many of them!

    xoxo
    Jessica
    http://vivaciouseventslv.com/blog/2014/11/25/2014-holiday-gift-guide-giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. FAB Sunset! And how did you get the birds to pose for you like that???!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha