18/08/2015

Uplifting Words & Kelpies

 I've been trying to draw more, even if it isn't great, just to be more creative and get my mind focused on something which relaxes me, and recently I've been really interested in fairy folklore, especially Kelpies!

 The name Kelpie is a Scottish given name and they supposedly appear as horses, but can take on human form, and inhabit the lochs and pools of Scotland. One of my favourite series of books, the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, has referenced these creatures countless times and they always appear as dark blue/green equines with seaweed tangled in their manes. That was the inspiration for the quick little sketch below, and I'm hoping to add some more detail to it, such as seaweed, to give it that water horse feel but for now I'm quite pleased with how this one's turned out for a little, quick sketch.


I also love this Robert Burns' poem which references them too:

When thowes dissolve the snawy hoord
An' float the jinglin icy boord
Then, water-kelpies haunt the foord
By your direction
An' nighted trav'llers are allur'd
To their destruction.

They definitely appear as terrifying creatures in what I've come across so far, but there's something enchanting about them too and I'm a sucker for mythology.


I've also been updating my quote book - a little notebook I was given which I add my favourites to, to give me a boost when I'm feeling low.





This quote from The Velveteen Rabbit is one of my absolutely favourites! It's a childhood story that my Mum loves so much that she bought a copy of the book for me to read on one of my birthdays. I don't have the book anymore, I believe it got lost somewhere along the way, but this quote has always stuck in my memory, I love it.

I'm linking up with Stella from Purfylle and Sarah from Sarah Celebrates for this week's Two Uses Tuesday, so make sure to head over to their blogs and link up and share your creative stuff too!



Hope you're all having a good start to the week!

Tasha
xxx

12 comments:

  1. Have you ever read anything by Carol Goodman? She loves using water imagery in her novels, and often has fairy folklore elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - will have to add them to my Wishlist - they sound great!

      Delete
  2. Love that sketch you made :) I haven't heard of Kelpies before, they sound fascinating.
    And I love the idea of a quote book very much. Thank you for sharing some of these wonderful quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are those giant Kelpie scuptures? Beyond Edinburgh somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - have seen lots of photos of them on Pinterest - definitely need to go!

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that you were drawing. I also used to when I was younger, but stopped when I grew older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that sketch of the Kelpie, Tasha. So pretty and I love the colours. If you're ever in Scotland then you must visit the enormous Kelpies in Falkirk!

    Can you believe I've never read the Velveteen Rabbit yet? I really need to buy a copy! It's such a classic.

    x

    p.s. love that quote about courage - what wonderful (and true) sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dog is a kelpie cross and seriously I think he is a dog that can appear in human form. Or tries to at least:)
    I love your sketchings, such a lively skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the drawing of a kelpie. You're really good! I hope you post more of your art. I also love the idea of a quote book. I may start something like that myself. I'm obsessed with quotes. :)

    Sara Bloo xo
    bloonstuff.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a lady of no artist talent, I'd be pretty chuffed if I could draw even half as good as you :) I like the little kelpie sketch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha