14/04/2016

Riverside Roaming

Last weekend I got out to Honister Pass and managed to get some shots of Gatesgarthdale Beck that runs through it. I've often passed this part of the Pass before and not stopped to take any photos, which seems silly considering how nice this part of the valley is!


All along the Beck are vast, towering boulders which I was really interested in. The two photos below are of the same boulder, and I found the natural patterns really intriguing - the crags and nooks accompanied by the scattered pockets of moss lend for some very interesting photos!


I believe a lot of these boulders were left behind by retreating ice as Honister Pass was carved out by huge glaciers around 10,000 years ago, and I recently learned that the sheer amount of slate at the Honister Slate Mine nearby, harks back to a large amount of volcanic activity during the geological history of the Borrowdale Valley, which this road connects you to. 

This has got me daydreaming about my time at university. I do love geology!


This was the view along the Beck towards the slate mine. The sound of running water is always going to be comforting to me. The water was beautifully clear too and I could see all of the different, coloured pebbles below.


There were couple of the lovely herdy sheep which were relaxing by the Beck a bit farther up the pass back towards Buttermere, and the mini waterfalls behind them on the Beck looked so calming to be by. A lovely scene!


And I couldn't not finish this post without another shot of the adorable herdwick. This one was happily grazing by one of the boulders.

 If you ever get the chance to stop by Honister Pass and travel through it then definitely pull up and spend some time sitting by the Beck - you may even get to see some of the adorable herdwick sheep herds that run graze on these peaks!

I'm linking up with the lovely Jen for Photo Friday today.



Have a lovely weekend!

Tasha
xxx

13 comments:

  1. I see you struggle also with the white - grey sky - here in Scotland that's often the case. Difficult to make nice landscape photos in these conditions. #PhotoFriday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd enjoy a bit of exploring there! I love herdies too, but they're a breed I see often around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That area is indeed lovely and very nice! I imagine myself already being there and enjoying every part of it, even the fresh air! Lovely photos Tasha!
    Jade xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's rough, beautifully bleak countryside

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sound of water is always comforting to me too. I LOVE it when the water is so clear that you can see pebbles perfectly clearly below. :D Nice shots! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful! We love to head out and find new spots full of beauty, I wish we had more waterways. I'm so glad I get to enjoy yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the sound of water also restorative ,esp the sea. I've only stopped at Honister once but I'd love to more. It is comforting to feel so small in comparison to the vastness and age of these towering rocks. I saw a little face in your second I'd those two rock face pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh it looks absolutely beautiful! I love being able to travel through peoples blogs like this and get to see different places. Also love that sheep!!! So cute. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos Tasha. I find nature so comforting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photographs as always and a great running commentary as well. Thanks Tasha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh Natasha, you do live in a beautiful part of the world.. you have no idea how much my husband would enjoy hiking through this sort of territory, wonderful images here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a wonderful place for a walk! And with sheep to keep you company as well! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha