09/08/2016

A Galaxy Filled Sky

For a long time I have been fascinated by the night sky, the northern lights and the famous photos from places like the Hubble Telescope of the stunning galaxies and nebulas hidden within our universe. 

I've seen quite a lot of iterations of night sky paintings, and most, if not all of them, feature those stunning purples and blues that are often linked with galaxies, as well as the flickering far aways stars which add a little bit of magic to the paintings. This is something I've wanted to try for a while and since I've been getting back into painting I thought that now was the best time to try my hand at my own night sky / galaxy painting!


I began by brushing an all black canvas on, before letting it to air dry just a little. I then took some different dark shades of blue and purple and dotted those onto the canvas in various places in a cloud shape. I then added the tiniest touches of white over the top as well as some lighter shades of blue and purple, and then blended those together with a soft bristle brush.

I found using a galaxy photo for reference was a big help as I could refer back to it and I also watched a couple of tutorials to get a feel for where the galaxies or nebulas could sit and look good. 

Then, for the fun part, I got a stiff bristle brush, dipped it in white acrylic paint and flicked the ends of the brush all over the canvas for the stars. You can also use an old toothbrush, which I am going to do next time, as I think that effect works much better and it looks great when you're finished.

I added some black trees / forest and some hills along the bottom but I need to adjust the detail there and make those a bit more pronounced, but apart from that I am very happy with this one!

I'm linking up with both the lovely Stella and Sarah for Two Uses Tuesday this week!



Hope you've all had a great start to the week!

Tasha

xxx

11 comments:

  1. Painting the night sky must be really really difficult, you've got the Milky Way really well there

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really impressive & effective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha! This is stunning! It really does look like the night sky when you get up north (at least here in Ontario!) I love how the colour variations are so subtle throughout the sky- 😍x

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice and looks cool.. http://www.totalitech.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guuuurl this is AWESOME! My favourite yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! I would happily put that on my wall, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mountain range, it helps to give dimension and depth to piece. I think they could stand to take up more of the canvas, but perhaps I'm just used to applying rule of thirds and thinking to photographically.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, this is amazing!!! You are talented! How much would you charge for one!?!?x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I never know about things like Etsy shops, someone else has asked that before and I am not sure how they work!! But I wasn't sure if you were working or not and I think it is beautiful so I would like to buy one particularly if you aren't working at the moment! Let me know! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. but, if you know how it works, you could give it a go!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha