02/08/2016

Deep Blues & Kelp Forests

I am very much into my painting at the moment and I am growing to love acrylics and painting on canvas day by day. Though I'm not the best and my techniques definitely need improving, I am loving getting to learn the different styles and experimenting with colour and different brush styles and strokes - it's just fun and I feel like I'm rediscovering my childhood love of art all over again. 

This week I've been fascinated by kelp forests and re-creating light and depth within underwater and marine environments, so it was no surprise when I sat down to paint and ended up creating a miniature kelp forest!


I spent a lot of time poring over images of kelp forests, and I love the different styles and variations in their structure. Some of these these forests do look like vast swathes of green seaweed trees, while others look more like alien plants growing under the water, which is more the style I went for towards the far left of the canvas.

If I was re-doing this I definitely need to get a smaller brush to paint my fish shoal with as they've turned out a little smudged / blurred but I am very happy with the shafts of light I managed to create, both by using a gradient approach with different blues as a background, and by striking long, white lines radiating out from the top left-hand corner of the painting. 

I'm linking up with Stella and Sarah for Two Uses Tuesday today.


Are any of you avid painters / use acrylic regularly? 
Do you have any friendly tips for me?

Hope you've all had a lovely Tuesday!

Tasha
xxx

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this Tasha! Makes me think of an aquarium postcard. I'm just getting back into creating. I'll have a bunch of things to share soon just have to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this Tasha! Makes me think of an aquarium postcard. I'm just getting back into creating. I'll have a bunch of things to share soon just have to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha lady, you need to stop talking negative about your skills! You make really lovely art and who cares if it's not the best of the best, as long as you are happy with what you create and have fun. Plus art is subjective anyway, so just say you are the best of the best and leave it at that :D

    You know, I think you'd paint a nice coral themed picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty!
    Don't be afraid of the blank white canvas. It can be intimidating, but hey, it's only a painting...and we paint to learn to paint! Right?
    I lov acrylics, Tasha. You can layer over mistakes really easy! Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colours here Natasha, good to see you enjoying painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous colours here Natasha, good to see you enjoying painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as I saw this I had to click over and check it out. The colours are just wonderful! I like your fish, everything gets blurred through water anyway so it seems perfectly real to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha