23/09/2016

Gems, gems & more gems!

If you've been reading my blog for a while now so you'll know I'm fascinated by the natural world, and have mentioned my love of fossils and gemstones on here before, so when my lovely friend Kerri mentioned showing my collection in full, I jumped at the chance and set about taking a lot of photos! 

While I also have some pieces of jewellery which are made from / with gemstones, I decided to focus this post on the actual gems themselves to reduce the number of photos, but I'm sure I'll share those with you all at some point too. Having said that there are a lot of picture here, so if you want to skim read and just glance at the photos, that's fine, but I hope you enjoy seeing my collection in full, and thanks again to Kerri for suggesting I do this.


Chrysocolla

This beautiful marbled blue and green stone is just gorgeous, with lines of copper running through the rock, giving it that opalite rainbow effect. I bought this a couple of Christmases ago from Etsy as I fell in love with the colour; the bands of blue and green throughout the stone make me feel really calm, and this gem currently sits on my side table so it's one of the first things I see in the morning. 




Bloodstone

This was another Etsy purchase which I got around Christmas last year as I was fascinated with the name, and the specks of dark red in amongst this dark green / almost black stone. Bloodstone is a variety of Jasper, and is also known as Heliotrope. During ancient times this was considered to be one of the most beautiful of the Jaspers. Legend has it that this stone was formed during the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, when the blood from his wounds fell onto the dark green earth and turned to stone, making it a mystical  talisman, with nurturing and protective properties.



Jet

This, I believe, is a piece of Jet and came as a gift from the lovely Kezzie along with some other gemstones and a few fossils too! Getting a piece of Jet had been on my list for a little while now so it was really nice to receive it in the post and find this little piece tucked away. It's jet black, as you would imagine, and shines up beautifully when the sun is out. Jet is a sedimentary rock and is most famous for it's use along the Eastern Coast near Whitby, where many of these rocks were found along the shoreline and could be fashioned into beads for jewellery making. 



Raw Amazonite

This beautiful lightly turquoise and teal coloured marbled stone is another favourite of mine, and I feel very blessed with these two as one was a gift from Kezzie as well! I really liked it's appearance in it's raw form as well, it's such a beautifully coloured rock and I feel instantly calmed whenever I see it thanks to it's light blue shade. This stone also makes me smile as it's often referred to as The Stone of Hope.


Citrine, Mookaite Jasper and Pyrite.

Citrine, the gem on the far left, is one of my earliest gemstones and is another one which I got from the Roman Baths while my grandparents were visiting me at university. The combination of orange and white is so pretty to me, and it sparkles in the sunlight too. The second gem along, I believe, is a form of mookaite jasper, and I was really attracted to it by the deep red, and of course, finally, everyone's favourite - pyrite or fool's gold! It's the easiest way to trick myself into believing I have some real treasure on my shelf.



Petrified Wood, Snakeskin Jasper and Kalahari Picture Jasper

The petrified wood should technically be in with my fossils, but because of it's appearance and where I have it on my shelves, I decided to include it here. Petrified wood is basically the fossilised remains of terrestrial vegetation, which is what gives the stone it's bark like appearance. The orange and brown stone is Snakeskin Jasper, which is another stone used for protection with calming properties, but I just loved the name and the pattern - it's such an unusual one! The third and final one, which is a much lighter brown, is my Kalahari Picture Jasper, with it's light and tan bandings which reflect the landscape of the Kalahari Desert. 



Ocean Jasper and Lava Stone

On the right we have my Ocean Jasper, which is linked with the ancient City of Atlantis and is rumoured to hold mystic knowledge within it's structures! The intricate pattern, swirls and whorls iwthin this stone are so pretty and having that affinity with the ocean gave it an enchanting back story too. The second rock is Lava Stone, which got me all excited when I spotted it in the shop. The pitted holes all over the rock make an interesting sensory experience to touch, and it's rumoured to be one of the oldest and most widely used stones in the world, among many different cultures. It's created when lava comes to the surface and cools. 



Crystal Geodes

These were my first ever geodes as they were a Christmas present and you had to dust them off, and crack them open to reveal the crystals inside. I love their dirt worn appearance as they liked they've just been pulled from the ground but if you hold them up to the light you can see the glint off of the crystals inside. 



Leopardskin Jasper and Bronzite

The pattern and colouration of the Leopardskin Jasper called to me as soon as I saw it - it looks like it could manifest into a leopard at any moment! Leopardskin Jasper is also noted to be a stone to connect to the animal kingdom both in the physical and spiritual plane, which I found really interesting. The Bronzite next to it is one of my earliest gems as well and shines up beautifully in the light, with a lovely dark brown sheen. I really like the fact that Bronzite is considered to be a 'grounding' stone and is often used to focus energy and alleviate nerves in new situations, so that's just a plus for me! 



Opalite Thumb / Worry Stone

This was a present from my university housemates during my first year at uni when I was struggling with anxiety and depression. Opalite is believed to have healing properties and is used in meditation and crystal healing to soothe and relieve depression. Whether or not you use crystals or believe in their healing properties, I thought this was a lovely gift and I have used this in mediation before. It works really well as a focus point, and it's always a gorgeous stone, which turns a dazzling rainbow shade when you hold it up to the light. I've got some photos of the stone doing just that, but I'm saving them for a later date!



Quartz

One of my favourite stones to hold up to the light, as it shimmers and shines! Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in the Earth, after feldspar. The Ancient Greeks referred to it as krustallos from the ancient Greek kruos meaning 'icy cold' as some of the ancient philosophers believed it to be a form of supercooled ice! 



Sunstone and Crackle Quartz

Two of my favourites here; the crackle quartz has featured before and as I mentioned, is a piece of quartz which has been dyed to create that bright orange colour, that sparkles in the sunshine! The sunstone is one of my smallest gems, and again the name alone is just lovely, with those bright orange shades that are so uplifting. From what I've read about the Sunstone, it's alleged that carrying a piece of this around with you can help your inner power to 'shine' - I love that!


Raw Rhodonite and Botswana Agate

The rhodonite (at least I think it is!) was another gift from Kezzie, and that hot pink against the black is amazing! In it's polished and tumbled form, it shines up beautifully but I love the raw form as it's so striking. The stone on the right is a form of agate from Botswana and I was enchanted by the swirls in the stone and the pink and brown colouration to it. 



Dragon's Egg and Amethyst

The dragon's egg I recently shared here and the name alone got me on this stone, but I love it's powdery appearance and the soft, blush colour beneath. The amethyst was another earlier purchase too - that deep purple with the marbled effect is just so pretty!



Raw Rose Quartz

Another gift from Kezzie here, this lovely, pastel pink stone is one of my favourites. It said to be a 'stone of the heart' and a crystal of unconditional love and it's rumoured that this stone was used as a love token as early as 600 B.C. and is still used as a talisman of love today. I just love it's gentle pink colouring and those marbled white bandings throughout are lovely.  


Blue Lace Agate Geode / Slice

This beautiful stone is one of my most treasured possessions not just due to it's lovely colour and crystalline shapes, but because I bought this the day I graduated as a little gift for myself. There was a market stall in Bath which came around every other Saturday that sold rocks and fossils and on the day of my graduation he was there so I bought this stone as a thank you present for myself. When you hold this rock up to the light, it shimmers, and I've got some more photos for you of this coming up in a later post!



Crackle Quartz 

These 3 little crackle quartz pieces have come all the way from Bath with me up to the Lake District. I got these from the Roman Baths and they've always been sat on my shelf giving some colour to the room. I especially love the green one, but they're all so pretty, and when the sunlight hits just right, they light up!



Mystery Gem and Moss Agate

The gemstone on the left is a mystery to me. I got it from a shop up here in Cumbria but I forgot to write down the name of it before I bought it, as they were loose tumbled gems, so it's gone from my memory, so I just refer to it as the mystery gem! It's most likely a form of jade or jasper due to it's colouring but I quite like that it's a mystery. The other gem here is moss agate, a beautiful dark green which reminds me of the forest, not just for it's name, but because of that lovely deep, dark green. 


Green Tree Agate and Verdite

My piece of green tree agate sits in front, while the verdite, as you may have seen before either on my social media sites or on here, gives a nice composition from the back with it's much darker green shade. Green tree agate is considered to be a talisman in some parts of India and due to its close proximity with earth and the natural world is considered a healing stone. Verdite on the other hand is a fuchsite based rock which was discovered in South Africa, and this stone has been used for it's properties to access and incorporate prehistoric knowledge, with an emotional symbol for solidarity and strength, I just love that dark green shade!


Tigers Eye

This is the raw element of tiger's eye and is another very special stone to me as I got this on my 25th birthday on my first visit to the Rock Shop in Ambleside. I love the bands of light brown and dark brown throughout, it's definitely got that characteristic tiger banding which gave it it's name, and the rough edges give it a prehistoric feel too. The Egyptians used to use this stone as the eyes for their deity statues, and Romans carried this into battle for protection. This stone is also linked to the magical tiger, the king of beasts in Eastern mythology. 



If you've made it to the end and read through all of this, then thank you!

I don't practise crystal healing but I am fascinated by the mythology and history of each of these gems and rocks, and their meanings throughout human history as well as their geology and any mysticism connected to them. I have the majority of these gems for purely vain reasons; I think they're pretty and I like having a bit of nature inside my room, and it also keeps my inner geologist happy! 

So I hope you enjoyed this post and I will be sharing my fossils with you next week!

I'm linking up with Jen for Photo Friday today!



Have a wonderful weekend all!

Tasha
xxx

10 comments:

  1. Tasha, I am fascinated by all these beautiful rocks. I like to wear gemstones as jewelry. As a matter of fact, those tend to be my souvenirs when I go to a new country. I am back from Europe and I brought back three pendants (different stones) from Slovakia and Poland. Also, I am looking into acquiring some opal and turquoise rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have quite a collection, I have a few myself but more for the healing side of them. It was very interesting reading about the mythology and history of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, so nice to see your whole collection! I'm the same with crystals. I'm all about the pretties rather then healing new age milarkey which my Mum is into. My favourite gem is labradorite!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty stone, I love those colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was weird, before I commented only the first photo and bit of text showed up so I was talking about the Chrysocolla in the comment above! After posting the comment, the rest of the post appeared! What a beautiful collection you have! Can you remember all the names of the stones or do you have to keep a list?!

      Delete
  5. Great series of images. The symmetrical flow of the grain in some of these specimens is quite remarkable, and others simply burst forth with shimmer and sparkle. I am sure you derive much pleasure from this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natural stones are so beautiful. I never actually managed to remember their meanings, but really enjoy their beauty and absolute uniqueness :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this was so interesting! I didn't know anything about these gems so it was really eye opening to read all this information about them. Thanks for teaching me something new today!

    I was going to pick a favourite, but it's too difficult, I think I like the orange toned ones: the Crackle Quartz and the Snakeskin Jasper.

    I loved this post! I hope you'll be sharing your fossils too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh this is such a cool post! I had a gem collection when I was young, it's somewhere at my mom's house, and now I am getting to urge to go dig it out. I have always really liked leopards stone, I think it's so neat looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got a nice collection there tasha! The Dragons egg is always one of my favourite. My Dad is a member of a gem and mineral society so I grew up with a lot of rocks and such around the house :) Fool's gold was always one of my favourites. I'm off to get some sleep now but hope to catch up &get more caught up with your posts soon! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha