23/11/2016

Iridescence





These 'rainbow clouds'  are called iridescent clouds, and I was very fortunate to spot these while out a couple of weeks back now. They are by far, my favourite weather phenomena to spot, and they always leave me smiling. I've only seen this one other time since moving to the Lake District, so these photos are quite special to me. This happens when tiny water or ice particles in the atmosphere cause light to scatter, though I can't be sure that this isn't also a Sun Dog, another similar weather phenomena, which usually presents itself as a large beam of light with two refracted rainbow like clouds on either side, but I just love the streak of rainbow that appeared in this one cloud and it definitely made me smile on a gloomy week.

I'm linking up with Sue for (Almost) Wordless Wednesday. 


Hope you've all had a good day so far!

Tasha
xxx

9 comments:

  1. How lovely. My great-gran always believed these were a sign that someone above was smiling down on her. Not something I necessarily believe but its a nice thought anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was a special name for them. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! Whenever I see these I always think about that scene in Pollyanna whith the crystals :) We had a lamp with dangling crystals on it growing up and growing up I loved to think that it was just a giant one that caused this whenever I saw them in the sky. 😊xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! Whenever I see these I always think about that scene in Pollyanna whith the crystals :) We had a lamp with dangling crystals on it growing up and growing up I loved to think that it was just a giant one that caused this whenever I saw them in the sky. 😊xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe I've ever seen such a cloud - fascinating.
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/11/cana.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures as usual Tasha - you've captured the light really well! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cool! I have never seen anything like this before. I definitely want to though! I need to keep my eye one the clouds!

    Actually every time I see cool looking clouds in makes me think of you! Especially wispy ones that just float along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, this is really special! Do you have the Cloud Collector's handbook? I loved learning about clouds in it!!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha