06/12/2016

Pinecone Trees & A Winter Zen Garden

I wanted to do something a little different for Christmas this year and when I stumbled across the idea of creating seasonal zen gardens, inspired by this video from Idunn Goddess on YouTube, I knew I had to try this! I used most of my own pieces as well as a very quick and easy DIY pine cone tree, but Idunn Goddess' video actually provides some other crafts and ideas to create your own winter zen garden including a DIY snowman and fir tree, if you're stuck for ideas or need some items for it, but this is a really fun way to get into the Christmas spirit and keep calm during the festive season!


I already had a zen garden base from when I bought mine from The Works a couple of years ago, so I simply removed the attachment that hold the gong from the back of the base, and created some spirals in the white sand, before adding on the pieces I chose. 


I decided to use my clear quartz and my chrysocolla gemstones to create an icy feel, and I found this clear bead while putting our Christmas decorations up so I added that next to my chrysocolla. I like the effect the gemstones give against the white sand, and I can imagine this working nicely with any blue or clear coloured gemstones such as amazonite or opalite too. 


The pinecone I had been given by one of my close friends while at university, and I simply painted green and added on white splashes around the ends of seed pod to create the snowy branches effect before gluing on a button in the shape of a flower that had this iridescence to it, so it looked like a star.


The little bear is a Peruvian soap stone bear I got from The Rock Shop in Ambleside for my birthday this year and I thought it would look cute next to the tree, which it does.

I'm really pleased with how this looks and waking up to see this on my bookshelf instantly makes me feel like I've been transported to a winter wonderland, and I may have to continue this on as the seasons change.

I'm linking up with both Stella and Sarah for Two Uses Tuesday today.


Hope you're all having a lovely Tuesday!

Natasha
xxx

7 comments:

  1. Oh – how beautiful! I so want to do this. I love these little gardens! And using white sand as snow and a pinecone for a Christmas tree? Adorable! The bear is pretty perfect too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make with real snow and keep it in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty & a fun alternative winter decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely little garden! Nice to know you made use of what you had already. Have happy days ahead, being relaxed and getting into the holiday mood

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, this is so pretty and seasonable!! I love the pretty star on the pine cone tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say, I liked your choice of colours and then you said about creating an icy feel so you obviously know what your doing here haha!

    You could definitely recycle this idea for the spring or summer. Get some golden sand, a new pine cone painted green and some of your brightly colour crystals (like the purples and greens) and make a spring/summer theme.

    Oh and an autumn theme too, with a red/yellow pine cone!

    Who knew a pine cone could be so versatile!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my little space, I hope you found something inspirational or interesting here. Leave a message if you like and I will get back to you as quickly as possible - Tasha